This summer is going to be hot and sunny — perfect for beach vacations and lounging by the pool. As you’re preparing to enjoy the sun, consider protecting your hair as well as your skin. All that fun in the sun can do major damage to your hair. Lather Hair Salon in Raleigh would like to help you avoid that by offering these eight important summer hair care tips…
(1) When you’re packing for the beach, include a huge sun hat. It will completely shield your hair and look cute. If you’re not into hats, pack the Jackie-O scarf you used in the spring to shield your hair from the rain; it will do the same with the sun.
(2) Make sure you take ponytail holders and non-metal hair clips. Metal absorbs the heat and could burn your scalp.
(3) Avoid trying to drag wet hair through a ponytail, as it may cause damage. So put your hair up before it gets wet. Also, the ends of your hair are the weakest and get dried out the easiest, causing breakage. To combat this, tie your hair back at the nape of the neck and create a loop with the ends tucked underneath to protect them. Loose and chunky braids are also a fresh way to wear your hair at the beach.
(4) Don’t have your hair colored right before your vacation. The sun can alter the fresh color. Do use a higher quality shampoo and conditioner, such as Graham Webb’s Vivid Color, to extend your hair’s color as much as possible.
(5) Before you go to the beach or pool, spray your hair with a leave-in conditioner with a sunscreen additive. You can make a version of this at home: Boil two cups of bottled water, add two tablespoons of SPF 40, stir and let cool. Pour it into a clean spray bottle and you’re ready to protect your hair the DIY way. Don’t forget to use sunscreen on your skin to avoid burning, plus a little waterproof mascara and colored SPF 15 lip balm.
(6) After spending the day at the beach, embrace the Bohemian, tousled-waves look. The salt water creates great texture. Use a volumizing spray such as Graham Webb’s Thick Infusion spray, to refresh your look. If you don’t have time to let your hair air dry, try to use a diffuser and scrunch your hair. And a wide-toothed comb will help detangle your beach hair without breaking the delicate strands. (There are tons of products available to let you recreate “beach hair” at home. Ask your stylist for a suggestion.)
(7) When showering, don’t wash your hair with extremely hot water. Hot water will open the cuticle of the hair, removing its natural moisture.
(8) If you’ve spent your time in chlorine at a pool, wash your hair immediately afterwards. And when you return from your vacation, make an appointment at your favorite salon for a deep conditioning treatment. It will help to repair all the damaged ends the sun created. You may want to get your hair freshly colored at this time, too.
Remember these essentials and you will maintain your beautiful hair all summer!
posted by Lather, a Raleigh hair salon